Schoolboy critical after being hit by van

Latest news
Latest news
Share this article
Have your say

AN 11-year-old boy remains in a critical condition today after he was involved in a road smash while riding his bike.

The schoolboy’s distraught family have been at his bedside after he was flown to hospital by air ambulance following the incident.

Police arrested a 49-year-old man at the scene who is being quizzed on suspicion of careless driving.

The youngster was in Elemore Lane, Easington Lane, when he was in collision with a van yesterday morning.

The Great North Air Ambulance rushed to the scene where paramedics spent about half an hour treating him before he was flown to the Royal Victoria Infirmary, in Newcastle.

People living in the street today spoke of their shock at the crash.

Louise Hill, who lives in Elemore Lane with daughter Tia, five, was at home when the incident happened.

Ms Hill, 37, said: “I just opened my blinds and saw it. The boy was lying there and his bike was over the other side of the road. To open your blinds and see that is quite shocking.

“I came out to see what was happening, but was told to go back in.”

Melissa Ashbridge, 33, who also lives in Elemore Lane, watched from inside her house as paramedics treated the boy.

She said: “At one point it looked like the boy was having a fit.”

Tahir Sultal, who runs Premier Convenience Store, in nearby Easington Lane High Street, said: “The police closed off the road and must’ve been there for a good five or six hours while they were investigating.
“There were a lot of people about at the time.”

A spokeswoman for Northumbria Police said Elemore Lane was closed for four and a half hours for a collision investigation to take place.

Police officers took statements from a number of people who were at the scene at the time of the accident.

A spokesman for the Great North Air Ambulance Service said: “The Great North Air Ambulance Service was called at 10.06am after an 11-year-old boy had collided with a vehicle while on his bicycle.

“He had sustained serious head injuries.

“A doctor and paramedic were flown to the location and advanced care was administered on the roadside.

“The flight from scene to hospital took seven minutes.”

Twitter: @davidallison88