Ronnie Howard murder: How the case unfolded

Today's conviction of Michael Wilson started with a mass brawl at the Prince Edward pub in Prince Edward Road on May 4.

Wednesday, 12th October 2016, 3:35 pm
Updated Tuesday, 25th October 2016, 7:09 pm
Police outside The Prince Edward pub after the disturbance in which Ronnie Howard died.

Here is a timeline of events.

Ronnie Howard died after a disturbance at a South Shields pub.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

May 4: A brawl breaks out at the Prince Edward pub in Prince Edward Road in South Shields.

When police arrive they find Ronnie Howard unconscious. The 31-year-old is taken to South Tyneside District Hospital where he is later pronounced dead.

Five men, aged 58, 33, 31, 30, 26 were arrested in connection with the incident. The 30 year old was then released and will face no further action.

A further two men, aged 34 and 28 were arrested later.

Ronnie Howard died after a disturbance at a South Shields pub.

May 6: Michael Anthony Wilson, 35, of Hylton Avenue, South Shields appears at South Tyneside Magistrates Court after being arrested by police and charged with Mr Howard’s murder.

He also faced charges of affray and assault on Anthony Jefferson who was with Mr Howard in the pub at the time.

No plea was taken and the case was sent to Newcastle Crown Court to be heard on June 3. Wilson was remanded in custody.

June 2: The family of Ronnie Howard pay their respects at a funeral held at South Shields Crematorium.

June 7: Michael Wilson appears via a video link from Durham Prison at Newcastle Crown Court to deny the charge of murder.

A trial date for October 4 is set and Wilson is remanded in custody.

Four other men have denied offences including assault and affray.

August 10: Michael Wilson appears via a video link from HMP Durham where he pleads guilty to the manslaughter of dad-of-two Ronnie Howard.

The plea is not accepted by the prosecution and the case goes for trial in October.

Four other men arrested at the time of the incident appeared in the dock at the hearing.

David Wood, 28, of Sunderland Road, Anthony Kenrick, 33, of Centenary Avenue, and Paul Haley, 26, of Ascot Gardens, all South Shields, all admitted a charge of assault occasioning actual bodily harm on Anthony Jefferson.

They were given bail until after Wilson’s trial.

A charge of affray was dropped against John Hayes, 58, of Moor Lane, South Shields.

October 4: The trial into the murder of Ronnie Howard starts at Newcastle Crown Court where Michael Wilson is being tried by a jury.

During the trial it was revealed the 31 year-old suffered a torn artery consistent with being punched.

The jury also hears how Wilson went back to his victim and carried out CPR after he was told he wasn’t moving.

October 11: After hearing all the evidence the jury retires to consider their verdict.

October 12: Michael Wilson is found guilty of murder by a jury and is awaiting sentencing.