THIS year marks the 20th anniversary of the closure of Easington Colliery.
Sunk in 1899 by Easington Coal Company, it brought miners from across Britain and Ireland flocking to find work.
A thriving community of houses, pubs and shops grew up around the colliery – used as a backdrop to the film Billy Elliot. But, on May 7, 1993, the pit closed with the loss of 1,400 jobs. Today, it is just a memory.