Popular Sunderland tattooist died after performing DIY operation on his leg

Kevin Franciosi of Fulwell Ink, Sea Road, Sunderland.
Kevin Franciosi of Fulwell Ink, Sea Road, Sunderland.
Have your say

A TATTOO artist died after developing an infection by performing a DIY op on a cyst on his leg, an inquest has heard.

Tributes flooded in after the sudden death last month of Kevin Gavin Franciosi, known as Kev, who ran the Fulwell Ink tattoo studio.

Now Sunderland’s assistant coroner David Place has recorded a narrative conclusion at an inquest at Sunderland Coroner’s Court yesterday.

The inquest heard how Mr Franciosi, a dad of four and grandad, was rushed to A&E at Sunderland Royal Hospital on September 1 in pain after trying to cut out a cyst on his inner thigh.

Mr Franciosi, 47, who had been due to marry fiancée Alison Dunn, 34, a week later, was later diagnosed with an infection on his scrotum. He was treated with antibiotics and was due to undergo surgery. But Mr Franciosi, of Ashbrooke, stopped breathing on the operating table and medics spent 24 minutes resuscitating him. He was transferred to the critical care unit on September 5 and finally had the operation.

Reading out the verdict, Mr Place said: “He deteriorated from there as a result of ongoing septic shock.

“He developed an acute kidney injury requiring daily renal replacement. An EEG was requested which displayed low electrical activity, indicating a severe irreversible brain injury and treatment was withdrawn. He died at 8.45pm on September 17.”

The primary cause of death was given as multiple organ dysfunction syndrome, caused by cardiac arrest, and Fournier gangrene, with a secondary cause of death being obesity.

In the wake of the tragedy, a sea of floral tributes were placed outside Mr Franciosi’s business in Sea Road and his funeral was held at Sunderland Crematorium on Wednesday.

A floral arrangement in the shape of a motorbike was organised by Mr Franciosi’s friends in Sea Road, while his children arranged one in the shape of a tattoo gun.

His would-be bride Alison said the chapel was packed with people and that Mr Franciosi got the send-off he deserved.

Speaking after the inquest, close friend Nicola Patterson, 35, added: “He had a lovely service. He is flying high with the angels now. He’s just a big miss.”