Action taken against barber over lockdown haircut for Newcastle star Joelinton
A barber has been ordered to down clippers after NUFC star Joelinton posted a picture of himself getting a haircut during lockdown.
It is understood the haircut took place in the barber’s garage.
Newcastle United – which was previously hit by an outbreak of the virus – have vowed to take “appropriate action internally”.
The £40million forward didn’t feature in Saturday’s 2-0 victory over Everton, and he could face a hefty club fine as a result of the post.
Now, North Tyneside Council has revealed the haircut took place in a premises in the borough and said it will issue the barber with a prohibition notice.
Prohibition notices order an immediate stop to what enforcement officers consider to be unsafe activity, to limit the spread of Covid-19.
Phil Scott, the council’s head of environment, housing and leisure, said: “We have received complaints about an individual operating a barber service from a property in North Tyneside in contravention of Covid regulations.
“The individual will be issued with a prohibition notice.”
Northumbria Police previously confirmed the force was now looking at whether the pair broke Covid-19 rules.
“We are aware of a social media post involving a 24-year-old man and a 35-year-old man who may be in breach of Coronavirus restrictions,” said a force spokesperson.
“We will be speaking to those involved and consider any further action under the Coronavirus legislation.”
Barbers and hairdressers closed in early January after England entered a third national lockdown. To date, the virus has claimed over 100,000 British lives.