Police warning after Sunderland man dies of suspected drugs overdose

Police are warning others about the dangers of drugs after a Sunderland man died today from a suspected overdose.

Saturday, 4th November 2017, 6:36 pm
Updated Saturday, 4th November 2017, 6:47 pm
Police issue warning after man dies from suspected overdose.
Police issue warning after man dies from suspected overdose.

Ambulance staff were called to the Salvation Army Swan Lodge in High Street East at 11.40am today following concern for a man aged 29, who was pronounced dead at the scene.

He is believed to have taken a quantity of illegal and unprescribed drugs, including Morphine Sulphate.

This follows an incident on Friday, November 3, where an ambulance was called to the same address after a man and a woman had both become unwell.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

They are believed to have taken a number of prescription drugs not prescribed to them, including Morphine Sulphate and emergency care was given to them at the lodge.

Police were called and following inquiries a 43-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of possessing a controlled drug with intent to supply and is currently in custody.

Now police are warning people of the dangers of taking illegal substances or unprescribed medication.

Chief Inspector Darren Adams, said: "We want to alert people to the very real dangers of taking these drugs.

"If anyone has taken an illegal substance and becomes unwell then they should seek immediate medical advice.

"An investigation is continuing to establish where these drugs have come from and anyone with information is encouraged to contact police."

To report information about drugs and drugs supply contact Northumbria Police on 101, quoting reference 446 of 04/11/17 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

Anyone who needs emergency medical attention should call 999.