Police have been out in force in Sunderland trying to track down information on the death of David Wilson.
Officers have been handing out flyers in the Southwick area as well as showing CCTV footage in a bid to find out more about what happened to the 49-year-old victim.
The body of Mr Wilson, originally from Hetton, was found in his Southwick flat on the morning of Sunday, December 14, 2014, after he had been violently attacked.
Police revealed this week that a vital 999 call had been made by another man from Mr Wilson’s phone that morning.
The call was made to police at 4.41am on Sunday, December 14, saying he was lost and needed to know how to get back to Gateshead from Sunderland. He said his lift had been unable to collect him as had been arranged.
The caller mentions he is walking towards the Halfway House in Southwick from the Stadium of Light.
We will not stop looking for this man, we will find you. However, we are giving you another opportunity to come forward.Detective Chief Inspector Mark Ord
Detective Chief Inspector Mark Ord said: “This has been a very complex and difficult investigation. We had to give this man the opportunity to come forward and identify himself. However, we are in a position now to say that he made the call from David Wilson’s phone.
“I remain open minded as to how this man came into possession of David’s phone, witnesses who were in David’s home at midnight tell us that David was in possession of his phone at this time, but by 4.41am that morning his phone was used to make this call.
“I urge this man to come forward to police and tell us how he came in possession of David’s phone.
“This is the vital piece of the jigsaw to find the person responsible for David’s death.
“We will not stop looking for this man. We will find you. However, we are giving you another opportunity to come forward.”
Anyone with any information is asked to contact Det Chief Insp Ord on 101 or independent charity Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.