Shocking picture shows damage caused by candle fire which saw three flee from Sunderland home

Firefighters have issued a warning following a house fire in Sunderland which was caused by an unattended candle.

Tuesday, 14th January 2020, 4:39 pm
Updated Wednesday, 15th January 2020, 9:07 am
Firefighters are warning residents following a fire which was caused by a candle.

On Saturday, crews attended a house fire in Hill View in Sunderland where a candle had been left unattended on a windowsill in the first floor bedroom.

The window had been left open the wind blew the candle off the sill and straight on to the curtains.

A spokesman for Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service said “Luckily, the three occupants managed to get out safely before our crews arrived. The bedroom and contents were 100% severely damaged by fire, heat and smoke.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Damage to the bedroom of a house in Sunderland. Picture by TWFRS

Left unattended, an open flame could leave a trail of devastation.

“Make sure you place your lit candles with extra care, away from curtains, pets and children and always remember to put them out when you leave the room.”