Paedophile jailed again after tracking down victim on facebook

A man who sexually abused an underage girl has been jailed four months after being released from prison for messaging the victim.

Monday, 18th January 2016, 1:54 pm
Updated Monday, 18th January 2016, 2:19 pm
Newcastle Crown Court.

Sharem Karemi, 26, was jailed in August 2013 for having a sexual relationship with a young girl and was released in July last year.

Newcastle Crown Court heard that four months later on November 27 and while still subject to a sexual offences prevention order, Karemi found the girl on Facebook and began sending her messages.

Paul Cross, prosecuting said: "The victim was very surprised because she had not sought any contact from him. The messages he sent said that he missed her so much and that he was dying without her.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

"He messaged her three separate times that night from 10.30pm onwards saying how much he missed and loved her. He also said not to tell anyone as it would be bad for him."

In an impact statement read out in court, the victim said: "The fact he does not want me to tell anybody tells me he wants to continue the abuse.

"I have moved away and I want to put this behind me, I am terrified he would find me and carry on abusing me."

Defending Karemi, Graham Stewart, said: "The defendant doesn't normally drink and he can't even remember these messages.

"Clearly he got drunk and did this ridiculously stupid thing."

Karemi, of Hylton Road, Sunderland pleaded guilty to breaching a sexual offences prevention order and was sentenced to four months in prison.

Judge Robert Adams said: "On three separate occasions you sent messages to the victim of your abuse who had no doubt moved on after your offending behaviour.

"After these messages she blocked you from contacting her on Facebook and reported you to the police.

"A number of years after the offending she certainly had not contacted you and she was terrified you would find out where she's living."

He added: "You knew full well what you were doing."