Over-40s League: Plains Farm's mixed fortunes, but survival bid is boosted

Plains Farm Alldec had mixed fortunes in Division Two, but they have enhanced their chances of beating the drop.

Friday, 20th April 2018, 11:30 am
Mill View SC (red/white) take on Darsley Park at Thompson Park last weekend. Picture by Tim Richardson

Plainsy suffered their first defeat in weeks, going down 5-1 to impressive Redcar Town, but recovered to beat Dubmire 2-0 in midweek.

Against Redcar, Alldec started well and led at the break, hitting the bar with a second effort.

But Redcar were by far the better team after the break and they capitalised on some poor defending to run out big 5-1 winners.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Plains Farm, though, got back to winning ways on Wednesday, with Purvis star man.

Davy “Keano” Mullen made the breakthrough with a neat finish against Dubmire. After the visitors exerted some pressure, Plainsy sealed victory with a penalty for handball, with Karl Hodgson sending the keeper the wrong way from the spot.

Derek Callaghan was praised for his refereeing display.

Mill View suffered two defeats, going down 2-0 at home to promotion-chasing Darsley Park and 3-1 to Peterlee Helford United.

That dropped them to bottom spot, with Helford, who also crushed Woodhorn Lane 5-0, up a place.

Redcar Old Boys climbed above Houghton Cricket in the hectic survival fight in the Third Division.

The Teessiders took the lead after poor defending from Houghton, but Michael Forster equalised just before half-time.

Houghton came out brighter in the second half and star man Forster got his second to put the visitors 2-1 up. But Redcar came more into the game and scored three goals in 20 minutes to settle it.

While Hartlepool Vets are relegated on six points, the next six teams are separated by just three points in an epic battle to beat the drop.

Willow Pond remain in trouble after a 3-0 loss to third-top Ivy Legends, while Wingate Cons boosted their push for safety by crushing Hartlepool Vets 6-0.

Penshaw Catholic Club picked up four points from two Premier Division games to stay in fourth place.

First, they were held to a 1-1 draw at mid-table Darlington Shuttle & Loom, then Penshaw secured a fine 2-0 derby victory over Washington Victoria Inn in midweek.

Victoria had gone into the game on the back of a 3-1 success at relegation-threatened Hylton CW.

Ryhope Foresters, given a walkover for their home clash with bottom club Hartlepool Raby Arms, climbed into fifth place thanks to Wednesday’s 2-0 derby triumph against Wearmouth CW.

Bottom club The Doxy Lad fought gamely before going down 4-1 to leaders Hartlepool Jacksons Arms in the Fourth Division.

Lad stunned their visitors by levelling at 1-1, right on half-time, but Jacksons dominated the second half to run out convincing winners.

Boldon Colliery Tavern lost 5-2 at home to Sedgefield to stay in fourth-bottom spot.

In the Fourth Division’s Billy Lorraine Cup, Pennywell Comrades saw their cup dreams dashed by a 3-2 defeat to Durham County.

Wearmouth CW Old Boys, though, recorded an excellent 4-2 success at third-top Hedworthfield Red Hackle and Gateshead Redheugh impressively beat second-played Forest Hall 2-0.

Third-placed Seaham Marlborough endured a crushing 8-1 defeat at home to Sherburn Village in one of the results of the season in Division One.

Pelton Crown lost 2-1 to Consett, before picking up a 2-2 draw against Ferryhill Greyhound.

South Shields can look forward to the final of the First Division’s Alan Spedding Cup final tomorrow - after a hectic run of cup ties.

Shields will tackle second-top Dormans at Wearmouth CW (10.30am).

They only played their quarter-final last Thursday, knocking out Consett 1-0 away, and played the semi-final on Monday night against table-toppers Whitley Bay Seahorse.

Shields upset the odds to force a 1-1 draw before edging through 8-7 in an epic penalty shoot-out.

After a very close first half, which Whitley edged in terms of possession and chances, Shields came into the game in the second period.

They created a few half-chances without really troubling the keeper. Then, just when Shields began to dominate, Seahorse made the breakthrough, midway through the second half, as Gary Harding struck an excellent goal from just inside the 18-yard box.

Shields responded to level five minutes later, following a scramble In the Whitley box, with the ball falling eventually at the feet of Chris Bailey, who swept the ball home from the edge of the six-yard box.

Shields missed a good opportunity to win it in normal time as the tie ended 1-1. Extra time produced few chances, with both teams feeling the pace of the game.

In the shoot-out, Shields scored their first two, with Seahorse missing their first two.

But Shields then hit the woodwork with their next two and Bay levelled at 2-2.

The teams swapped successful and missed penalties before Shields edged through 8-7.

Dormans had a straightforward 3-0 semi-final win over Hebburn Town.