An occupant was taken to hospital by ambulance after a fire in a bungalow in Silksworth.
The casualty, who was one of two people in the house, was treated for smoke inhalation at Sunderland Royal Hospital after the home in York Street caught alight last night.
Twelve fire fighters from Farringdon and Sunderland Central fire station responded to the call at 7.39pm on Tuesday.
Crews tackled a fire in the kitchen of the mid-terraced bungalow using a hose reel, four breathing apparatus and positive pressure ventilation.
The hob, a chip pan and a kitchen unit were destroyed in the blaze, and the kitchen, a bathroom and living room were severely damaged by smoke, while the remainder of the properrty was lightly smoke damaged.