Two fire engines, one from Washington and one from Marley Park, were called to a bungalow in Waskerley Road, Barmston, at 10.16pm, where an electrical socket was on fire in the kitchen.
The kitchen was damaged by fire and the remainder of the house by smoke.
The occupiers had tried to extinguish the blaze using a fire blanket and dry powder extinguisher before the fire brigade arrived.
Crews used one hose reel to extinguish the fire.
Watch shocking footage of drink and drug driver who caused death of young dad Richie Jordan as partner Carol King pleads for others not to make same mistake
Man arrested after collision leaves 13-year-old boy in critical condition
The 13 places where most crime was reported across the north of Sunderland in June
Sunderland rapist jailed for life as victims reveal horrific ordeal
Thunderstorms: When does the Met Office think thunder and lightning hit Sunderland this week and what does the yellow weather warning mean?
One occupant was checked over by paremeics for the effects of smoke, but no other treatment was required.