Nursery raises cash in memory of Sunderland tot tragically killed by bedroom blind cord

Sophie Allen
Sophie Allen
Have your say

PONIES and face painting will help raise money for a unit where a tot was cared for before she died.

Little Sophie Allen lost her life after becoming tangled in blind cords in her bedroom at the family home in Red House, Sunderland.

The two-year-old was taken to Sunderland Royal Hospital, where staff worked for more than an hour to resuscitate her, before she passed away six days later at Newcastle’s Royal Victoria Infirmary (RVI).

Now staff and children at her brother Jayden’s nursery are raising money for Sunderland’s paediatric unit.

Busy Bees nursery in Fulwell is holding a summer fair on Saturday.

Kids will be able to meet a pony from JJ’s Petting Zoo, have their faces painted and get snap-happy in a photo booth.

There will also be a tombola and refreshments on sale at the event, which takes place between 10.30am-1.30pm.

Katrina Miller, deputy manager at the nursery, in Newcastle Road, said: “Jayden comes to the nursery and we just wanted to do something to help.”

Sophie’s devastated parents, Peter Allen and Danielle Hudson, are also raising money for Crawford House, for families of seriously-ill children who are being cared for at Newcastle’s Royal Victoria Infirmary.

Stars of TV sitcom Hebburn, Jason Cook and Chris Ramsey, offered their help after hearing about two-year-old Sophie Allen.

The pair recently took to the stage at Heppie’s Social Club in North Hylton Road, Sunderland, raising more than £5,000 for the charity-run home.

Peter and Danielle have also joined the Echo with our campaign For Sophie’s Sake, to raise awareness of the dangers of blind cords.

The campaign, backed by Sharon Hodgson, MP for Washington and Sunderland West, aims to raise awareness of the dangers of blind cords.

New safety regulations governing the manufacture of blind cords came into force earlier this year, but an inquest into Sophie’s death heard there are still millions of potentially deadly blinds in family homes across the country.