Northern League: Red Star up to sixth with storming derby success at Ryhope CW

Seaham Red Star claimed a convincing 4-1 derby victory at Ryhope CW in the Ebac Northern League's First Division on Saturday.

Monday, 18th September 2017, 1:00 pm
Ryhope CW FC (red) battle against Seaham Red Star on Saturday

Victory took Red Star up to sixth in the table.

Chris Trewick gave Ryhope an early lead, but Red Star roared back and equalised through Liam McBryde after 21 minutes, when he raced clear to score.

Ten minutes into the second half, Red Star took the lead when Ash Davis scrambled the ball home, but shortly afterwards he was shown a straight red card, for an off-the-ball incident.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

However, Ryhope could not find a way back into the game and Robbie Bird hit home Star’s third goal on 79 minute, before Luke Bailey made it 4-1 in the last minute.

Red Star’s home match against Consett tomorrow has been postponed.

Washington secured a much-needed first win of the season, beating fellow strugglers Newton Aycliffe 2-0 at Nissan, even though they left it late.

With just 15 minutes to go, Matthew Fisher drilled his shot into the corner of the Aycliffe net. The Mechanics ensured all three points with a second goal, three minutes later, with Scott McArdle’s excellent shot beating goalkeeper Jack McLaren.

West Auckland narrowly lost their top of the table clash 3-2 at Morpeth Town.

The home side started quickly and opened the scoring in the sixth minute through Joe Walton, but Nathan Fisher beat goalkeeper Karl Dryden to level it up four minutes later.

Sean Taylor headed Morpeth back in front on the half hour and he extended the lead to 3-1 with a poacher’s finish in the second half.

Fisher’s second goal of the match got West back into it, but the home side held on for the crucial win, which puts them four points clear at the top.

Consett are fourth, level on points with West, after a comfortable 3-0 home success over Ashington.

After a goalless first half, Michael Mackay put the Steelmen ahead with an excellent goal.

Ryan McKinnon made the game safe when he doubled the lead in the 87th minute. Mackay netted again a minute later.

David Palmer struck for Jarrow Roofing in a 5-1 rout at Stockton Town, for whom Owens grabbed a treble.

Mason and Bainbridge steered North Shields home 2-0 at Guisborough, Danny Earl’s double gave Marske United a 2-0 victory against Penrith and Bishop Auckland disappointed again, crashing 4-0 to visitors Team Northumbria.

Winless Billingham Synthonia are still bottom of the league, after going down 3-0 at third-top Dunston UTS.

Ben Pollock put Dunston on their way with a neat header after 34 minutes and Scott Heslop struck twice in the final seven minutes to kill off the Synners.