Northern League: Lawyers fight hard, but Robins prove too strong

Second Division Tow Law Town put up a good fight before going down 4-1 to Ebac Northern League Division One leaders North Shields in last night's Brooks Mileson Memorial League Cup tie.

Thursday, 17th November 2016, 9:00 am
Updated Thursday, 17th November 2016, 2:18 pm

After just three minutes, Robins’ Dan Wilson opened the scoring when he drove the ball past Tow Law keeper Michael Allan.

The Lawyers fought back well, though, and managed a shock equaliser when Kelvin Thear struck, squeezing the ball home from a tight angle, following a rebound.

North Shields, as expected, piled on the pressure after half-time. On 55 minutes, Ryan Carr headed in a Jordan Summerly cross to make it 2-1 and Wilson, with his second goal of the evening, made it 3-1 with a low strike on 77 minutes.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Lee Mason scored the goal of the evening to complete the scoring, with a scorching shot from 25 yards.

Division Two outfit Norton and Stockton Ancients were comprehensively beaten 4-0 by visitors Consett.

Lewis Teasdale opened the scoring after 32 minutes, and a Luke Sullivan penalty made it 2-0 on the stroke of half-time.

Michael Sweet’s brace in the 82nd and 89th minutes steered the Steelmen home in comfort.

Newcastle Benfield progressed with a comfortable 5-0 home win over Darlington RA.

Goals from Josh Scott and Mechack Kanda, with a 25-yard shot into the top corner, put Benfield in control.

It was 3-0 after a good team move when Kanda found Ryu Williamson. He fed Scott McCarthy, who drove the ball into the bottom corner.

With five minutes to go, McCarthy’s shot was saved by keeper Harrison, but the rebound fell back into McCarthy’s path and he made no mistake for 4-0.

In the 90th minute, Harrison kept out another shot from McCarthy, with the ball falling for Kanda, who tapped home the final goal.

Morpeth Town’s tie at Penrith was postponed because of a waterlogged pitch.