Northern League: Late, late agony as Consett stun Sunderland RCA deep into stoppage time

Sunderland RCA were denied victory at the death in a thrilling 3-3 First Division draw against Consett.

Monday, 21st November 2016, 12:30 pm
Updated Tuesday, 22nd November 2016, 10:20 am
Ryhope CWs Chris Trewick battles Washington striker Callum Hassan. Picture by Tim Richardson

The Meadow Park men enjoyed a blistering start and took a 2-0 lead after just eight minutes.

Stephen Callan fired home from 20 yards to open the scoring, and Mark Robinson quickly made it two, when he scored from six yards out.

Consett, though, showed good spirit, pulling one back after 20 minutes, after Jordan Nellis headed home from eight yards, but the points looked to be heading RCA’s way as they maintained their lead until a minute from time, when the Steelmen were awarded a penalty, for a push on Michael Sweet, and Luke Sullivan converted.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

In a dramatic finale, RCA were awarded a penalty three minutes into stoppage time, when Michael Charlton was fouled in the box. although keeper Gareth Young sensationally saved the penalty, Colin Larkin followed up to score.

Consett, though, were not finished and fully six minutes into added time they rescued a draw when a Daniel Craggs cross found Sweet and he headed home to dash home hopes of all three points.

Bishop Auckland secured a second three-goal success away to Seaham Red Star in five days with Saturday’s 3-0 league success.

Bishops, who won a Brooks Mileson Memorial Cup tie 4-1 against Seaham in midweek, took just four minutes to open the scoring when Andrew Johnson reacted first to a defensive mistake and beat Red Star goalkeeper Shaun Newbrook.

Johnson scored his second goal 10 minutes into the second half, converting a cross from the left.

Bishop sealed the deal on 80 minutes Ryan Noble made it 3-0, the former Sunderland striker’s shot from the edge of the box finding the bottom corner.

Chester-le-Street lost 3-1 away at Newcastle Benfield.

Benfield’s Paul Brayson hit the post after 21 minutes, but Josh Scott smashed home the rebound.

It was 2-0 after 37 minutes, when Brayson found Dylan McEvoy, who beat outstanding goalkeeper Jak Wilson.

The Cestrians pulled one back against the run of play, when Dominic Laws volleyed in from six yards, but Brayson tapped in from close range to make it 3-1.

Chester manager Colin Wake said: “We didn’t perform from the very first minute and it was a very disappointing performance from my team.

“If it wasn’t for goalkeeper Jak Wilson, it would have been a much heavier defeat. We were outplayed by the better side.”

South Shields smashed Guisborough Town 6-0 to stay eight points behind leaders North Shields, with two games in hand.

The Mariners were 2-0 up within six minutes as Robert Briggs headed home and David Carson fired in a 20-yarder.

Carl Finnigan added a third on 15 minutes, with Julio Arca making it four, scoring from the rebound after his penalty was saved by James Dawson.

Finnigan and sub Adam Wrightson completed the rout before the hour mark.

North Shields won 2-1 at Newton Aycliffe, with Ryan Carr and Dean Holmes on target. John Campbell struck for Aycliffe.

Andrew Robertson and Kyle Patton struck as Whitley Bay beat Penrith 2-0.