Northern League: Craig Lynch spot on to make good point for Seaham Red Star

Seaham Red Star fought back to claim a welcome point in last night's Ebac Northern League Division One game at Penrith.

Thursday, 9th March 2017, 8:00 am
Updated Friday, 24th March 2017, 9:58 am
Seaham Red Star striker Craig Lynch

After four successive league defeats, Red Star fell behind midway through the first half, when Martyn Coleman scored from the penalty spot.

Craig Lynch hit the bar as Red Star rallied, then had a strike well saved by keeper Josh Richardson.

However, Seaham rescued their point 10 minutes from time, when Lynch smashed home a penalty, following a foul by Jordan Lawson.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Leaders North Shields moved 11 points clear at the top after a hard-fought 2-1 home win over Consett.

The Robins took the lead just before half-time, when Michael McKeown’s corner found Gary Ormston, whose header found the net via defender Adam Knowles.

Three minutes into the second half, Michael Sweet was on hand to level for Consett, after Kyle Hayes had saved his initial effort.

But the winner came with 13 minutes left, when McKeown’s deflected free-kick saw keeper Ross Coombe parry the ball back to the waiting Dan Wilson, who cleverly back-heeled the ball home.

Second-top South Shields have three games in hand on North Shields.

In Division Two, Crook Town eased their relegation fears with a 3-1 derby victory over fellow strugglers Willington, leapfrogging their neighbours in the process.

Willington took a 15th- minute lead when Will Preston headed past keeper Paul Watson, but Daniel Pigg equalised from 15 yards early in the second half.

Crook took the lead when Joe Calvert scored with a towering header, giving goalkeeper Stephen Robinson no chance, and Pigg bagged a third goal seven minutes from time.

Fifth-top Durham City stayed 15 points adrift of promotion after a 2-0 defeat at in-form Heaton Stannington, who rose to sixth, with games in hand.

After a goalless hour, Dan Robinson broke free and beat two defenders before shooting past keeper Dean Caris from 20 yards.

On 64 minutes, Josh Holland made it 2-0 from Shane Jones’ through ball.

Relegation-threatened Ryton and Crawcrook Albion drew 3-3 with Northallerton.

Liam Henderson and Harry Mitchell had them two up, before Nicky Martin reduced the deficit, but, in the 58th minute, Sam Moore regained Ryton’s two-goal margin.

However, two goals in a minute cost Ryton two crucial survival points, when Stephen Cheeseman and Marcus Laing both scored for Northallerton to rescue a point.