Northern League: Chapman double helps Ryhope CW hold champions Shildon in eight-goal epic

Ryhope CW and Shildon played out a thrilling 4-4 draw in the Ebac Northern League's First Division last night, probably ending the reigning champions' slim chances of retaining their title.

Wednesday, 1st March 2017, 9:00 am
Ryhope CW (red) take on Whitley Bay in a recent Northern League clash

It was Ryhope who scored first, when player-boss Daniel “Bobby” Moore put through his own goal, but Lewis Wing levelled things up on 32 minutes with a cracking free-kick.

Shildon took the lead nine minutes later when Matty Robson’s cross from the left sailed into the top corner of Jonny Ball’s net.

But Gary Pearson’s men were level again just two minutes later, with Lee Chapman poking the ball home in a goalmouth scramble.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

In the second half, Ryhope went 3-2 ahead when Callum Munro’s left-foot shot found the net, but Stephen Capper levelled things up again for the Railwaymen.

Shildon restored their advantage at 4-3 when Adam Burnicle scored his first goal for the club, slamming home a low shot.

But Ryhope deservedly equalised to clinch a welcome point when Chapman bagged his second from the penalty spot, beating goalkeeper Nick Liversedge.

Seaham Red Star went down 1-0 at home to a resurgent Jarrow Roofing side, who are now four games unbeaten and beginning to move up the table towards safety.

The crucial goal came on 44 minutes, when Calvin Smith curling home a fine effort from the edge of the area, beating Seaham goalkeeper Shaun Newbrook.

Roofing keeper Lewis Brass was in excellent form, making crucial saves to deny the outstanding David Palmer, in particular, to keep Red Star at bay. Dan Kirkup headed a Star effort off the line

Sunderland RCA’s home clash with Penrith was postponed because of a waterlogged pitch, as was West Auckland’s trip to Dunston UTS.

Crook Town boosted their Second Division survival hopes with a welcome 2-0 win at Alnwick Town.

That takes the Millfield men five points clear of the relegation zone.

Daniel Pigg opened the scoring on 35 minutes, capitalising on a defensive mix-up to beat keeper Luc Glasper.

Christian Holliday doubled their lead on 67 minutes, following another defensive error, giving Glasper no chance, with his effort.

Tow Law Town went down 3-1 at Whickham, who took the lead after just 18 minutes, when David Fitzpatrick tapped home following good work down the wing.

After 36 minutes it was 2-0, Mark Fitzpatrick scoring following a corner, though Dean Thexton pulled one back to set up a tense finish.

Whickham clinched the victory in the fifth minute of added time, the Fitzpatricks combining well on the counter, with David applying the finishing touch.