Northern League: Champions Shildon step up title chase with victory at Washington

Washington remain just outside the drop zone in the Ebac Northern League Division One following last night's 2-0 defeat at home to champions Shildon.

Thursday, 24th November 2016, 9:30 am
Updated Tuesday, 29th November 2016, 9:30 am
Washington boss Neil Hixon

The Railwaymen are now 15 points behind leaders North Shields, with five games in hand, after their triumph at the Nissan Sports Complex.

Garry Forrest’s men opened the scoring after 41 minutes, when Lewis Wing did well to control the ball just inside the box and hit an unstoppable shot past Washington goalkeeper Dale Connor.

Billy Greulich Smith was close to doubling the lead and Mickey Rae fired wide before Washington gained a real foothold in the game late in the second half, without managing to force an equaliser.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Shildon killed off Neil Hixon’s men in the 91st minute when substitute Matthew Robson broke clear and cut inside his defender to curl a cracking left-foot shot past Connor.

The Mechanics are three points clear of the bottom three.

Brandon United enjoyed a comfortable 2-0 win over Darlington RA in the Ernest Armstrong Memorial Cup second round.

Dan Quine opened the scoring after just two minutes, rounding goalkeeper Callum Liddicott in a one on one to score.

RA put up dogged resistance until the last minute when Niall Fingleton fired past keeper Liddicott to make it two.

Billingham Town won 5-3 on penalties after a hard-fought 3-3 draw at Hebburn Town.

Visitors Billingham opened the scoring on five minutes through Elliott Beddow, but Hebburn’s Channon North hit a half-volley home following a corner to level it up.

On 44 minutes, the home side went 2-1 up when James Davison scored from an Adam Rundle corner, and then, on 62 minutes, Luke Hogan made it 3-1.

Billingham pulled one back in the 69th minute when Glen Hargrave struck, then they drew level seven minutes later, when Jack Connor fired home a screamer of a shot.

Esh Winning’s tie at home to Willington was postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.

Holders North Shields enjoyed a comfortable 3-0 home win against Heaton Stannington to reach the Northumberland Senior Cup semi-finals.

Following a corner, Curtis Coppen scored with a near-post header in the 13th minute to give North Shields the lead.

Bobby Taylor’s rasping left-foot strike on 65 minutes made it 2-0, and a great run and cross by Denver Morris was flicked home by Dean Holmes four minutes later.