Northern League: Battling Red Star go down fighting at West Auckland, as gap to relegation places is cut to just five points

Seaham Red Star are only five points above the Ebac Northern League First Division's drop zone after narrowly losing 2-1 at third-top West Auckland last night.

Wednesday, 18th April 2018, 10:00 am
Seaham Red Star (blue) battle against Sunderland RCA in their recent clash at Meadow Park.

In a scrappy first half, the referee handed out two yellow cards, but there were no goals before the interval.

Seven minutes into the second half, good work from Ross Colquhoun and Anthony Bell provided Adam Mitchell with the opportunity to put West 1-0 up.

Alex Ramshaw equalised for Seaham on 59 minutes, after West failed to clear the ball.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

But the hosts sealed victory with a 65th-minute goal from Daniel Parker, as Star suffered a fifth defeat in six games.

Seaham are five points above third-bottom Jarrow Roofing and two ahead of Penrith and Bishop Auckland, albeit with games in hand on the latter two.

Relegation-threatened Jarrow Roofing collected three crucial points with a 1-0 victory at Newton Aycliffe.

Dennis Knight’s 25th league goal of the season won the game, seven minutes from time.

He collected the ball outside of the box and cut inside onto his left foot before smashing a deliciously fierce shot past keeper James Winter.

Relegated Washington found title-chasing Marske United too hot to handle in a 5-0 home defeat.

Marske opened the scoring after only four minutes, when Craig Gott sent goalkeeper Craig Williams the wrong way from the penalty spot.

Curtis Round’s header doubled the lead on 15 minutes, and Gott fired home a third, direct from a free-kick, on the half-hour mark.

Glen Butterword had a 47th-minute strike ruled out for offside, but they made it 4-0 six minutes later.

Round’s shot was parried by keeper Williams, but Michael Roberts was on hand to stab thel oose ball home from close range.

After 72 minutes, Marske had another goal ruled offside, Roberts being out of luck, but Round completed the comfortable win with a fifth goal, nine minutes from time.

Mid-table Whitley Bay beat relegated bottom club Billingham Synthonia 3-1, thanks to Chris Salmon, Jack Walker and Tom Potter, with Ben Jackson firing a late penalty consolation.

In Division Two, Chester-le-Street twice came from behind in an entertaining 2-2 draw with Jarrow.

Stephen Graham gave Jarrow the lead after 17 minutes, and they stayed on top until Kevin Dixon’s equaliser eight minutes into the second half.

Five minutes later, Kris Goss restored the visitors’ advantage, but Alex Walker made it all square again on 72 minutes.

Promotion-chasing Whickham picked up three more points, edging out Crook Town 3-2 after falling behind to Dan Quine’s 20th-minute strike.

Andrew Brown levelled on 33 minutes, and Andrew Bulford put the hosts 2-1 up just after the hour mark.

Isam Mohamad got Crook level again with 20 minutes left, but Steven Aiston, back from injury, hit the home winner three minutes into stoppage time.

Durham City exited the Ernest Armstrong Memorial Cup, losing 1-0 to 10-man Thornaby.

Thornaby had Charlie Marshall sent off for a head-butt on 30 minutes, but Lewis Murphy beat Nathan Armin for the only goal a minute into the second half.

Tow Law Town progressed with a 4-2 victory over Bedlington Terriers.

Kai Hewitson gave the Lawyers a seventh-minute lead, but Scott Lowery and Conner Andrews turned it around as the Terriers led at half-time.

Tow Law took control on the restart, though. Hewitson equalised at 2-2 before Lewis Teasdale fired home a 56th-minute penalty. Dean Thexton completed the scoring four minutes later.