Newcastle Utd 1 Huddersfield Town 2: Two defeats out of two for Magpies as Terriers win at St James's for first time in 63 years

Huddersfield Town inflicted a shock defeat on Newcastle United at St James's Park this afternoon.

Saturday, 13th August 2016, 4:27 pm
Updated Saturday, 13th August 2016, 5:29 pm
Nahki Wells celebrates firing Huddersfield ahead at Newcastle

The visitors won 2-1 thanks to goals from Nahki Wells and Jack Payne, securing their first win on Tyneside for 63 years.

Dwight Gayle scored for Newcastle, who have now lost their opening two Championship fixtures.

And United manager Rafa Benitez must urgently address problems at both ends of the pitch.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Rafa Benitez responds to speculation over Aleksandar Mitrovic – and reveals transfer priority

Newcastle’s defence has looked alarmingly vulnerable in the club’s first 180 minutes of Championship football, while the team has missed the physical presence of Aleksandar Mitrovic up front.

Benitez handed Mohamed Diame his debut and brought Jonjo Shelvey, Chancel Mbemba and Rolando Aarons into his starting XI.

There was a raucous atmosphere before the game.

Newcastle made a positive start, but the half quickly started to unravel.

Elias Kachunga hit the post with a low shot in the 13th minute, and Huddersfield went on to create the better chances.

United, for all their possession, didn’t trouble visiting goalkeeper Danny Ward.

And the cacophony that had greeted the teams at kick-off time had long subsided by the time Wells scored in first-half injury time.

There were a few boos as the team headed for the tunnel, and Benitez replaced Aarons with Matt Ritchie – who had been surprisingly named as a substitute – for the second half.

United’s breakthrough came on the hour-mark thanks to a handball.

Gayle stepped up to take the resulting penalty. Ward stopped his effort, but the Magpies’ new No 9 headed in the rebound.

Newcastle pressed for a second goal, but they lacked a focal point up front, and visiting substitute Payne netted eight minutes from time to give David Wagner’s side all three points.

Huddersfield boss Wagner said: “We came with a plan and now we know we can also win a game without ball possession. The hard work was unbelievable.”

NEWCASTLE UNITED: Sels; Janmaat, Mbemba, Lascelles, Dummett; Hayden, Shelvey; Anita, Diame (Perez, 75), Aarons (Ritchie, 46), Gayle. Subs not used: Darlow, Gamez, Clark, Colback, Armstrong.

HUDDERSFIELD TOWN: Ward, Smith, Hudson, Hogg, Kachunga, Mooy, Lowe, van la Parra (Scannell, 72), Lolley (Payne, 81), Wells (Palmer, 64), Schindler. Subs not used: Coleman, Cranie, Gorenc Stankovic, Hefele.

Goals: Wells 45, Gayle 60 (pen), Payne 82

Bookings: Lowe 62, Gayle 63

Referee: Olivier Langford (West Midlands)

Attendance: 52,079