Neighbours speak of shock as family flee Sunderland house fire

Robert Street, Silksworth, Sunderland.
Robert Street, Silksworth, Sunderland.

A mum and her three children were taken to hospital after fire broke out at their Wearside home.

Two crews from North Moor fire station and one from Sunderland Central were called to a kitchen fire in a two-storey terraced house on Robert Street in the New Silksworth area just after 12.40am on Thursday.

The kitchen of the property was severely damaged by fire, while the rest of the building was damaged by smoke.

Everyone in the house had left the building by the time fire crews arrived on the scene.

They were taken to Sunderland Royal Hospital by ambulance.

Their injuries and not believed to be life-threatening.

No-one was present at the house when the Echo visited.

Neighbours living close by spoke of their shock at the incident.

An 80-year-old man who also lives in Robert Street but did not want to be named, told the Echo: “I saw the two fire engines in the street just before I went to bed.

“But I couldn’t see anything like smoke coming from the house.

“The blinds at the front are always down so you don’t see much happening.

“The family must have suffered smoke inhalation to be taken to hospital.

“There was a fire at another house just a couple of doors away from that one but it was much worse."

A woman who lives in nearby Quarry Street said: “My son has a friend that lives in this street so he was trying to find out exactly what went on.

“There have been rumours all over Facebook about it but you don’t know what to believe really.

“It’s usually a quiet place. You don’t expect this.”