Neighbours raise house fire alarm

Have your say

QUICK-THINKING neighbours helped to raise the alarm after a man’s house caught fire.

Police and firefighters had to force entry to the home in Grangewood, Shiney Row, as the occupier, a man in his 30s, could not be woken up.

It is thought the blaze began after a cooker was left on, just before midnight on Monday.

Thankfully, the fire was put out and the man and his two dogs were unharmed.

Watch manager Ron Rowe, of Rainton Bridge station, said: “Only some food was damaged but this could have been much more serious.

“If the neighbours hadn’t heard the smoke alarm, we don’t know what could have happened.”