A quick-thinking neighbour used a fire extinguisher to tackle a blaze in the lounge of a Sunderland house tonight.
Firefighters from Sunderland Central and Farringdon stations were called to Somerset Cottages in Silksworth shortly before 7.30pm.
A Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service spokeswoman said: "It was a mid-terrace cottage, with a fire in the lounge area which destroyed a set of curtains.
"The remainder of the property was 20 per cent slightly damaged by smoke.
"The fire was extinguished prior to our arrival by a neighbour using a fire extinguisher.
"We checked the fire was fully extinguished and used natural ventilation to clear the smoke.
"No-one was hurt."