HOTEL chiefs say their emergency procedures worked well after a chemical spill was discovered.
Specialist firefighters were called to the Marriott Hotel, Queens Parade, Sunderland, yesterday after the spil in the building’s plant room.
Officers wore specialist chemical protection suits before moving into the busy hotel to clean up the spillage of five litres of sodium hypochlorite, otherwise known as bleach.
Kay Doughty, director of operations at the Marriott Hotel, said: “Obviously the safety of our guests is top priority.
“We immediately notified the authorities who responded and said there was no reason to evacuate.
“We have taken all the appropriate measures to correct the situation and ensure the safety of guests and our staff.
“We were also very happy with the response of the fire brigade.”
No-one was hurt in the incident and hotel guests did not have to be evacuated.