A man has been remanded in custody after an attack inside a Sunderland home left a man fighting for his life in hospital.
Anthony Taggart appeared before South Tyneside Magistrates' Court and the case was sent to Newcastle Crown Court on April 28.
The 30-year-old, of Sandringham Road, Roker, faces two counts each of assault causing grievous bodily harm and of actual bodily harm, and one of witness intimidation.
Taggart was charged after an incident inside a flat in Exmouth street, Carley Hill, left a man in a critical condition, and two others seriously injured.
Police investigating the incident said a 58-year-old man was in a critical condition in Sunderland Royal Hospital, while two women, aged 25 and 49, were released following treatment.
A Northumbria Police spokesman said: “All three were taken to hospital and the two women, aged 25 and 49, were released following treatment.
“A man aged 58 is in a critical condition in Sunderland Royal Hospital.
“Following enquiries officers have located and arrested a 30-year-old man.
“Anthony Taggart, of Sunderland, has been charged with two counts of GBH, two counts of ABH and one count of witness intimidation.”
Neighbours said the incident took place in the block of flats at the southern end of Exmouth Street.
One woman who lives in the street said she had been at home at the time, but did not see or hear anything.
She said: “It was in the flats down the end so we didn’t hear anything.
“The first we knew about it was when we got a leaflet through the door from Northumbria Police.”
Another neighbour said they had seen a police car, but that the area was “normally quiet”.
Officers say they have no further information on the incident on Wednesday, March 23, at around 7.30pm.