A HOUSEHOLDER had to jump to safety from an upstairs window after a suspected arson attack.
The 29-year-old suffered a broken leg and needed treatment for smoke inhalation after the blaze at his home.
The suspected attack happened in the early hours of Friday at the man’s home in Nettlesworth Village, near Chester-Le-Street.
Emergency services were called to the property at about 2am and they found the front door alight.
The man had been asleep upstairs when the fire broke out, but was woken by the smoke alarm and found himself trapped by the flames.
He was taken to the University Hospital of North Durham for treatment and was in a stable condition.
Police confirmed that it appeared the fire had been started deliberately. A joint investigation by police and fire services is under way.”
Colin Bage, of County Durham and Darlington Fire and Rescue Service, said it was vital to have working smoke alarms in homes.