Man dies in Cleveland mine gas explosion

One man has died after a gas explosion at Boulby mine in East Cleveland.

Friday, 17th June 2016, 7:16 am
Updated Thursday, 25th August 2016, 5:37 pm
One man has died after a gas explosion at Boulby mine in East Cleveland.
One man has died after a gas explosion at Boulby mine in East Cleveland.

ICL UK has announced that the man died this morning in an underground incident believed to have involved a gas blow-out—a sudden and powerful release of gas.

The mine’s rescue team has been dealing with the incident and emergency services are at the scene. Her Majesty’s Mines Inspectorate has also been informed.

Company staff will be offering all possible support to the man’s family. All other workers in the mine at the time of the incident were safely evacuated.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Earlier, Labour MP Tom Blenkinsop, who represents Middlesbrough South and East Cleveland, said his "thoughts and prayers" were with the workforce.

He said: "There has been a serious incident believed to be a gas explosion and we are waiting for further details about what has happened."

Back in April, there was an underground fire at the mine, which saw seven workers taken to hospital for checks after suffering the effects of smoke.

Last year the company announced job losses in a "significant restructuring" of its operations, including moving from producing potash to Polysulphate fertiliser.

It is 1,400m deep and its tunnels go far out under the North Sea.

Cleveland Police were called at 5.20am and officers remain at the scene as they work to understand the circumstances surrounding the incident.

A spokeswoman said."Our thoughts are with family, friends and colleagues."