Man in court over granny flashing claim

A Sunderland man has gone on trial accused of flashing an elderly grandmother.

Monday, 18th July 2016, 5:00 am
Updated Monday, 18th July 2016, 9:04 am
Paul Surtees

Paul Surtees, 37, is said to have exposed his genitals to the woman, who cannot be identified for legal reasons, on four occasions.

Prosecutor Jeanette Smith told Sunderland Magistrates’ Court that Surtees chatted to his victim before exposing himself to her.

Paul Surtees

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Ms Smith said that initially the woman had been too embarrassed to tell anyone what happened.

However, she was so upset, she eventually confided in one of her children, but urged them to keep it quiet.

But when it is said to have happened a fourth time, the grown-up child told siblings, who called police.

Giving evidence via a videolink from another room, the woman said: “He was wearing knee length shorts. One of the legs was rolled up and his appendage was hanging out.

Paul Surtees

“I turned my head and looked away. I was too embarrassed to look.”

The woman said that on another occasion he had pulled down his waist band and exposed himself to her, holding his genitals in his hand.

“I never said anything to him about it,” she added. “I was just too embarrassed.”

She added: “I thought ‘why is he doing it?’ I just kept it to myself for a long time.

“It’s never left my mind since it first happened. It just eats me up all the time.”

Cross-examining the woman, Jason Smith, for the defence, questioned how Surtees’ genitals would have been visible in the way the woman claimed.

She also confirmed that she was certain he hadn’t exposed himself by accident.

The grown-up child the woman had confided in also gave evidence about the distress caused to their mother.

Surtees, of Ribble Road, Hylton Red House, Sunderland, denies four counts of exposing his genitals, intending that someone would see them and be caused alarm or distress.

He will give evidence when the trial continues at South Tyneside Magistrates’ Court in South Shields, on July 28.