Man carried his ex through the streets after headbutting her unconscious

Jonathan Collins carried the unconscious woman onto a platform at Sunderland station after headbutting her.
Jonathan Collins carried the unconscious woman onto a platform at Sunderland station after headbutting her.
Have your say

An attacker carried his unconscious ex-girlfriend through a Sunderland street after headbutting her in the face.

Jonathan Collins took the stricken woman, who had blood around her nose and mouth, into the train station at Sunderland, where he put her into a seat on the platform.

The 23-year-old, who was "drunk and agitated", was arrested still inside the station.

Newcastle Crown Court heard today that the violence that night was the last of three attacks on the same victim within a matter of weeks.

The victim told police: "I don't feel safe any more."

Collins, of no fixed address, admitted three charges of common assault, which meant he faced a maximum sentence of six months behind bars.

Judge Tim Gittins sentenced him to six months imprisonment, with a restraining order to keep away from his victim for the next five years.

The judge told him: "The fact is, I would have passed a longer sentence, had the court powers been available to me. I am restricted to a total of six months."

Judge Gittins called the violence "cowardly" and "bullying" and told Collins: "I remain concerned that you are a danger to partners and future partners."

The court heard that due to the time spent on remand, Collins will be eligible for immediate release.

Prosecutor Bridie Smurthwaite told the court the first attack was on May 19, when Collins grabbed the woman as she walked along the street and punched her, despite passing motorists intervening.

On June 9 Collins tried to bite the woman's face and broke her phone during another violent street confrontation.

Miss Smurthwaite told the court it was on June 12 the victim agreed to meet Collins and they travelled by Metro to Sunderland, where they used library computers to access Facebook.

The court heard Collins was seen to slap the woman without warning and the trouble continued when they went outside.

Miss Smurthwaite said: "He headbutted her in the face. He carried her into the station, onto a platform and the police attended.

"She was sitting in one of the seats with her head slumped backwards and fresh blood around her nose and mouth. She was unconscious for about 20 seconds."

Vic Laffey, defending, said Collins understood the restraining order and added: "He has now been in custody for four months, so it is effectively time served."