Lovesick man slashed himself in the face in effort for sympathy vote

Liam John Paul Noble, 20, outside Sunderland Magistrates Court.
Liam John Paul Noble, 20, outside Sunderland Magistrates Court.
Have your say

A LOVESICK 20-year-old faked a knife attack in a last-gasp attempt to save his relationship.

Liam John Paul Noble claimed he was walking through Hylton Castle when a man jumped out of a car and slashed his face and clothes.

Noble, of Marley Pots, needed hospital treatment for wounds to his mouth and nose. A police investigation was then launched.

But Noble, pictured, quickly admitted to a detective that he made up the assault in a bid to get sympathy from his girlfriend because their relationship was on the rocks.

The 20-year-old pleaded guilty to wasting police time at Sunderland Magistrates’ Court last week.

Prosector Paul Anderson said: “It is a somewhat unusual case in so far as you don’t often get these sort of cases before the court.

“On Christmas morning at about 2.25am, Mr Noble telephoned the police.

“He reported an assault and said he had been assaulted by unknown males in the Hylton Castle area of Sunderland.

“He was saying two of the unknown males were in a dark-coloured car. One of them got out and began attacking him with a bladed instrument about the face and clothes.”

But, the court hear, when DC David Nevin interviewed Noble later that day, he admitted making the whole story up.

Mr Anderson added: “He had actually inflicted the injuries on himself with a broken bottle to try and gain some sympathy from his girlfriend.

“It seems they had broken up and it was an attempt to re-kindle the relationship with her.”

The court heard that five PCs, an acting sergeant, an inspector from Sunderland North area command, as well as a number of detectives, together spent 20 hours working on the case.

Defending Noble, Joanne Gatens said it was his partner who insisted he called police.

“It was at her insistence that the police were involved and it was never his intention when he set out on this path.

“Only then did he get sucked into having to report it and provide a statement and really what happened is that it snowballed out of control.”

Mrs Gatens added that Noble, who was left scarred by the ‘attack’, had now cut down his drinking from a bottle of vodka a day to four cans of lager, once a week.

Magistrates adjourned sentencing for Probation Service reports.