late, late show keeps up west end's momentum

Sunderland West End are up to fifth place after their third win in a row, an excellent 2-0 win at Darlington Reserves.

Monday, 30th October 2017, 12:30 pm
Updated Tuesday, 12th December 2017, 9:19 am
Silksworth CW (red) attack against Stokesley on Saturday. Picture by Tim Richardson

However, the Ford Quarry men left it late to claim all three points on the 4G Eastbourne pitch.

The game remained goalless until the 85th minute, when David Keithley opened the scoring, firing past goalkeeper Mathew Bancroft.

Three minutes later, Mark Robinson ensured all three points for West End took when he doubled the lead, giving keeper Bancroft no chance.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

West End secretary Anthony Golden said: “It’s a small pitch down there and we took a bit of time getting used to it, but we played really well and it could have been more, but for their goalkeeper.

“We were down to the bare bones, with quite a few injuries, but it was an excellent performance and a good win.”

Silksworth CW enjoyed a comfortable 5-0 home win over struggling Stokesley SC, their victory in eight productive days.

The Wearsiders took the lead in the very first minute, when Stephen Moody rifled the ball home, and nine minutes later he scored his second, doubling Silksworth’s lead.

Nicky Smith made it 3-0 after 20 minutes, with the home side rampant, and Paul Muir added a fourth on the half hour.

Muir scored his second of the game on the hour mark to complete a resounding win, taking their tally in successive home games to 11.

Boldon CA remain in fourth place, following a narrow 1-0 home victory over Leam Rangers.

The visitors defended resolutely, but, with just 10minutes remaining, Jonny Wightman scored the only goal of the game when his left-foot shot gave goalkeeper Neil Postlethwaite no chance.

South Shields Reserves hosted leaders Hebburn Town Reserves in a riveting derby, going down 4-3 in a thriller which saw the visitors stay two points clear at the top.

Hebburn opened the scoring in the 29th minute, with Joe Warren firing the ball past goalkeeper Simon Parkin. But Shields equalised two minutes later, with David Graham scoring direct from a 25-yard free-kick, giving keeper Lee Burrell no chance.

Shields went 2-1 up after 51 minutes, when Logan Powell netted, but Hebburn equalised in the 70th minute, with Josh Houghton on target.

Hebburn took a 3-2 lead five minutes later, through Ewan Simpson, and Dylan Nesbitt increased their advantage after 78 minutes. With just a minute remaining, a corner from Powell was headed in by Ali Aleagha to ensure a tense finish, but Hebburn held on to win 4-3.

Wolviston are now sixth after leapfrogging opponents Annfield Plain with a resounding 8-0 home win.

The first goal came in the 16th minute, when Famara Jatta fired past goalkeeper Lloyd Simpson and three minutes later, Ryan Hebb increased their lead with an angled drive. Mark Lilley made it 3-0 on 25 minutes.

In the second half, the home side hit a further five goals, courtesy off Junior Masandi (2), Steven Pickard, Andrew McGirr and Lilley, who completed the scoring in the 81st minute with his second of the game.

Cleator Moor Celtic maintained their title push with a dramatic 3-2 win away to Hartlepool.

Playing into a gale-force wind, Pool defended well until the 42nd minute, when Liam Johnson gave the Cumbrians an interval lead, firing past keeper Elliot Coils.

Three minutes into the second half, Luke Close made it 2-0, but, after 58 minutes, Hartlepool’s Sam Cook pulled one back, scoring direct from a free-kick past goalkeeper James Sharp.

Pool equalised after 75 minutes, Dean Cope forcing the ball home from Lee Jones’ corner, however, with 10 minutes remaining, Cleator Moor broke away again, with the unmarked Callum Birdsall heading home to clinch three precious points.

Richmond Town travelled to bottom club Windscale and won 3-2.

They opened the scoring after only 20 seconds, with defender Dan Morgan turning the ball into his own net. Windscale’s Darren Donald equalised after nine minutes, but Sam Pickersgill put Richmond back in front after 25 minutes.

On the hour mark, Matthew Metcalf levelled once more, however, after 75 minutes, Scott Ryan fired home the Dalesmen’s winner.