ONE of the Chilean miners saved after two months trapped below ground travelled to the North East to pass on his message of faith.
Jose Henriquez, one of the 33 men to be rescued after the collapse of the copper and gold mine on August 5 last year, appeared at Durham Cathedral yesterday.
The 56-year-old was the pastor of the group, leading prayers twice a day and reading from small bibles, which were sent down the bore hole.
Since he was saved from the pit using a capsule he has answered a calling to pass on messages of faith.
The father and husband is in Britain on a tour entitled the 34th Man Tour, which makes reference to how some of the men spoke of another person who had been with them – God.
He also spoke of his joy after they were helped back onto ground level and of the love of his family as part of his visit.
Speaking about adjusting to life in the limelight, he said: “I’m trying to take it as simply as I can, with humility.
“While celebrity lasts I would like to take the message of Jesus.
“It’s a miracle what God has done for us.”
The cathedral’s Sacrist David Sudron said: “It’s something that was big news but which becomes humbling and there’s something in that.
“Durham Cathedral is a place that makes big stories intimate.”