Inquest opened after '˜unexplained' death of woman in flat

An inquest has opened into the unexplained death of a woman in a Washington flat.

Monday, 2nd October 2017, 6:00 am
Updated Wednesday, 4th October 2017, 2:36 pm
Hylton Court, Oxclose, Washington, where a woman was found dead inside a flat.

Two men were arrested on suspicion of murder and bailed, after the body of Nicola Jane Ross – also known as Shaw – was discovered on August 14, the inquest at Sunderland Civic Centre heard.

Sunderland assistant coroner Clare Davies said the 41-year-old was found unconscious at the property in Hylton Court in Oxclose, on August 14,

Paramedics were called at about noon, to the mid-storey flat in a block of three, but Ms Ross could not be saved and police launched an investigation.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Ms Ross, who lived at Newriggs, in Fatfield, was identified by her husband, Ms Davies added.

Coroner’s officer Peter Foggin confirmed that Ms Ross’s body was found within the City of Sunderland jurisdiction.

Mr Foggin said: “Police were contacted in relation to an unresponsive body, by paramedics.

“Police attended and conducted inquiries and two people were arrested.

“The investigation is still ongoing.”

A pre-inquest review hearing will take place on November 23.

Northumbria Police has previously said they are treating Ms Ross’s death as “unexplained.”

But officers later confirmed the two men who were arrested as part of the ongoing inquiry have both been questioned on suspicion of murder.

The pair, both aged 40, were taken into custody at the time of her death and have been released on bail as inquiries continue.

Officers said Miss Ross was discovered with injuries, but police have previously said it is not known if those were the cause of her death.

A spokesman for Northumbria Police said: “Nicola was found unconscious in an address in Hylton Court in Oxclose, Washington on Monday, August 14.

“Emergency services were called and attended the address but she sadly died a short time later at the scene.

“Inquiries are ongoing into the death, which is still being treated as unexplained.”