‘I don’t want a penny from that man’ – left-for-dead rape survivor turns down £20,000 compensation

Cheryl Maddison, shortly after she was raped and left for dead on the Spanish island of Magaluf in May 2008.
Cheryl Maddison, shortly after she was raped and left for dead on the Spanish island of Magaluf in May 2008.
Have your say

BRAVE rape survivor Cheryl Maddison has revealed how she turned down thousands of pounds in compensation from a Spanish court.

The model was left for dead in a sickening attack in Magaluf. Moroccan waiter Mohamed Fadel el Anssari was given a 23-year jail sentence by a Spanish judge for the 2008 attack.

A judge branded him “evil” for the assault, which happened just six days after she left Wearside for a new life abroad.

Yesterday Miss Maddison, who recently became engaged to fiancé Kaine, posted the news on social networking site Facebook.

She said: “Feeling extremely proud of myself. Should have been receiving £20,000 on Monday from the court in Spain.

“However, in January at court I said I didn’t want a single penny from that man.

“The look of proudness in Kaine’s eyes when I turned and looked at him when I said it will always stick in my mind.

“Anything we want in life we will work for it.”

Miss Maddison, from Houghton, was forced to relive her brutal ordeal to judges at the provincial court in Majorca’s capital Palma in January.

Her testimony lasted 70 minutes and she left the court without coming face to face with the accused.

The victim, who waived her right to anonymity, told the court her attacker struck as she returned home alone after a shift working in a bar in Magaluf on May 30, 2008.

Miss Maddison, now working as a club manager, was raped and repeatedly stabbed with a seven-inch blade.

She underwent emergency surgery for wounds to her neck, throat, chest and back.

Miss Maddison told the court she had therapy for the two years following the attack and was terrified of being left on her own.

Accompanied in court by her partner, she said she was not interested in compensation, adding: “I just want him to go to jail.”

Police initially failed to find her assailant and the investigation was shelved the following summer.

But the case was reopened when a second British woman suffered a similarly horrific attack in Magaluf in 2010.

Fadel was arrested in July 2011 following a lengthy undercover operation.

He denied attempted murder and rape and refused to answer questions about the attack in court.

l Full story – Page