Horden man’s despair as snooker hall goes up in smoke

Neil Mosley.
Neil Mosley.
Share this article
Have your say

A COUNTY Durham man has spoken of his devastation after seeing his snooker hall go up in smoke.

A blaze ripped through the roof of Hartlepool Snooker Club, resulting in parts of the building having to come down.

Owner Neil Mosley, from Horden, was told about the fire shortly after it broke out at 3.30am on Sunday.

The 44-year-old watched helplessly as flames went through the roof.

He said: “I’m just devastated. We have built it up for 11 years, and for a year before that we physically built it with a builder friend.

“Me and my wife Tracy worked damned hard.

“In just one night, it’s all been taken off us.”

He said he was in the hands of structural engineers as to whether the building can be salvaged.

The dad-of-two said when went to the scene, he was faced with an “inferno”.

He said: “I went down for half an hour and couldn’t get anywhere near. Seeing the flames was depressing.

“It hasn’t sunk in yet. I’m still looking at my bag every morning thinking I’m going to work.

A police spokeswoman said: “Police and fire officers will begin an investigation into how the fire started, once it’s been deemed safe to do so.

“The fire is currently being treated as unexplained.”