Woman thanks medics who saved her life

Kyra Thompson, pleased to be back at work after her sudden serious illness.
Kyra Thompson, pleased to be back at work after her sudden serious illness.
Have your say

A SUNDERLAND woman has said thank you to the medics who saved her life by raising more than £3,000 at a charity night.

Kyra Thompson, 27, went into cardiac arrest, suffered a stroke and saw her weight plummet during her nightmare ordeal, in which she spent 10 days in a coma.

Kyra, of Thorney Close, also had to learn how to walk again and says she owes her life to Wearside and Leicester medical teams. Her nightmare is thought to have been caused by a mix of a virus, chest infection and asthma.

But thanks to the Sunderland Royal Hospital Intensive Cardiac-Care Unit (ICCU) which battled to save her, she is still alive today.

And to say thank you, she held a fundraising evening at Farringdon Club which raised a fantastic £3275.

She said: “Thank you to everyone who came to the charity event.

“It raised a lot of money from very generous people.

“I’d like to thank everyone who donated gifts.

“I could not believe the overwhelming turnout of people on the evening.

“As a family, we are very grateful for everyone’s kindness. Without their support it wouldn’t have been such a hit.”

When she first took ill, in August last year, Kyra was taken to Sunderland Royal where, the next morning, her lips turned blue and she arrested and had a seizure at the same time.

The care and support worker was put in an induced coma. Doctors, meanwhile, told her family there was a 15 per cent survival rate.

Her ordeal still wasn’t over. She also suffered a stroke, her brain began to swell and the Sunderland (ICCU) battled to save her life.

Doctors even had to do tests after fearing at one point that she had suffered a bleed on the brain.

Kyra was then transferred by ambulance to the specialist Glenield Hospital in Leicester where an Extra Corporeal Membrane Oxygenation (ECMO) machine cleaned toxic gases from her lungs and re-oxygenated her blood supply.

As Kyra recovered, she spent five days re-learning how to walk again.

She returned to work although she still needs tests and has to attend a chest clinic.