Tot finally home with mum after months spent wired to hospital machines

Three-year-old Paige Evans with her aunts Jen Tait and Chloe Gibb, right, in the sensory room which has been created for her.
Three-year-old Paige Evans with her aunts Jen Tait and Chloe Gibb, right, in the sensory room which has been created for her.
Have your say

AFTER six months fighting to stay alive, little Paige Evans is back home in the arms of her devoted mum.

Spending most of her young life wired up to hospital machines, the 22-month-old has been diagnosed with a catalogue of life-threatening conditions that have left her registered blind and deaf.

However, doctors from the neurology ward at Newcastle’s Royal Victoria Infirmary have now allowed the youngster back home to Silksworth, where she is cared for 24-hours a day by mum Bethany Tait, 21, and dad Paul Evans, 28.

At just two months old, Paige contracted meningitis before later being diagnosed with cerebral palsy, leaving her with limited movement.

Although she can’t hold her head up, Paige does respond to changes in lights, so the family, with a little help from fund-raisers, have built a sensory room to welcome their daughter home.

Grandmother Kay Gibb, 42, said: “She loves the colour red, so we bought some fibre-optic lights and bubble-tube lamps for the room, which she is loving.”

Born profoundly deaf on March 11, 2012, Paige’s worried parents raised concerns their daughter might have cerebral palsy and tests went on to confirm them right.

Paige was also admitted to Middlesbrough’s James Cook University Hospital where she was fitted with cochlear implants, due to hearing problems.

More heartache followed for the family, as Paige was diagnosed with other problems from sight issues to limited movement in her limbs.

Paul, a former factory worker, had to give up his job in order to help Beth care for their daughter.

Today, she requires constant care and will do for the rest of her life.

But, for the time being, the family are just happy to have her back home in Sunderland.

Kay said: “It’s wonderful to have her back.

“I just live round the corner so can call round whenever they need help.

“People have been so generous and have, through a Just Giving page, raised £500 towards the sensory room.”

Although Paige is now back home, this is far from the end of her hospital treatment.

Kay added: “She only came home last Wednesday, but already has six hospital appointments scheduled.

“But, despite everything, we want to just say a big thank you to everyone who has been so kind in helping and supporting Paige.”