‘She’s finally at rest’ – time runs out on dying gran’s final wish

Paul Robson with his wife Kathleen Robson who is dying of cancer after she has suffered a relapse
Paul Robson with his wife Kathleen Robson who is dying of cancer after she has suffered a relapse
Have your say

DEVOTED great-grandmother Kath Robson died without ever getting to hold her newborn great-grandson.

The brave 64-year-old lost her battle with cancer just hours after speaking about her dying wish.

Her second great-grandchild, Jay Crookes, was born on Friday morning and Kath faced a race against time to welcome him home from hospital before she lost her life to the disease.

But Kath died at home at 2.25pm on Saturday, surrounded by her loving family and after holding a photo of baby Jay.

Husband Paul, 59, said although his wife did not get to fulfil her dying wish, she was finally at rest.

“We got the Echo and my daughter Michelle read it out to her and she smiled that she was on the front page.

“She did not get to hold her great-grandson, but she did get to hold a photo of him. It would have been our ruby wedding anniversary in February next year and she said she wanted to get to my 60th birthday, which is the 26th of August.

“She had a long battle for 12 years. and the last couple of months had been hard for her. She had been really poorly.”

Kath, who survived against the odds after developing lung cancer 12 years ago, was recently given the devastating news that the tumours had returned.

She promised to live life to the full, and said she just wanted to hold Jay, who was born to parents Paul Crookes and Claire Dodds.

Kath, from Washington Village, spoke of her ordeal when first diagnosed with terminal cancer.

“I was given the news after a scan,” she said. “I’d been taken to hospital with septicaemia. The doctors told me there was nothing they could do about the cancer – the chemotherapy would do more harm than good in my condition.”

Earlier this month – just two months after being diagnosed with secondary lung cancer – Kath visited the £1.5million Leamside Equestrian Centre, in Houghton, to fulfil another wish of hers to ride a horse.

Despite having limited movement, she was able to sit on a high-tech simulator to create the experience of horseriding.

In 2001, Kath went as far as planning her funeral after she was diagnosed with cancer.

Her father died from the disease in 1984, aged 67, and exactly six years to the day, she underwent an operation at Newcastle’s Freeman Hospital to have the tumour removed.

Doctors were able to remove the malignant growth, which had wrapped itself around her heart, and also had to remove her right lung.

Afterwards, she began campaigning to raise awareness of the illness.