‘My own race for life’ – Sunderland mum’s dash from run as tot has seizure

Lewis Jackson-Foale with mum Kathryn in Sunderland  Royal Hospital
Lewis Jackson-Foale with mum Kathryn in Sunderland Royal Hospital
Have your say

A MOTHER who had just completed the Race for Life was left racing to the bedside of her 22-month-old son after he suffered a seizure.

Kathryn Jackson-Foale today thanked stewards at the run who helped her dash to see little Lewis after he developed severe breathing problems.

The 31-year-old told the Echo: “I’d just finished the race at Herrington Country Park when my husband called to say Lewis wasn’t responding, and we needed to get him to hospital quickly.

“I was just panic-stricken. I wanted to see him, but was stuck in the middle of hundreds of cars trying to leave the park.”

Desperate Kathryn, of Farringdon, ran up to a race steward and told him what was happening.

She said: “The guy was amazing. He just ran and almost cleared the whole field of cars so that I could drive straight out.

“If it hadn’t been for him we’d have been stuck in there for hours.”

Lewis was taken to Sunderland Royal Hospital, where he was put on oxygen support while medics ran a series of tests.

Kathryn, still wearing her Race for Life tracksuit, anxiously waited with husband Trevor, 35, for news.

The Nissan worker said: “Lewis had just gone rigid and was not responding when my husband was talking to him.

“He has suffered from breathing problems since he was five months old – but nothing as bad as this.

“The doctors worked to get his temperature down, and we spent most of the afternoon in there until he was eventually allowed to go home.”

Medics were unable to tell the family what had happened, but suspect the tot had some form of seizure.

Just hours earlier, on Sunday morning, Kathryn, along with her daughter, Olivia, six, and other relatives had been taking part in the annual race in memory of her uncle, Robert Jackson, who died last year after suffering from cancer of the oesophagus.

“We’d actually had a really nice day up until that point, and raised £500,” said Kathryn. “As soon as I got the call, panic set in. It was just the worst feeling in the world.

“I don’t know what I would have done if one particular steward hadn’t been so good.

“He practically cleared a path through the field single-handedly so I could drive straight out.”

Helen Tibbott, Race for Life event manager for Sunderland, said: “We are glad that our car park stewards PES Security managed to help Kathryn get to her little boy in hospital as quickly as possible after Sunday’s race.

“I’ve passed on her thanks to the team, and we all wish Lewis a speedy recovery.”

Lewis, who turns two in July, is now recovering well at home.