Dad left in coma after breaking skull in Magaluf holiday accident

Lynne Robinson with her husband Michael.
Lynne Robinson with her husband Michael.
Have your say

A DAD spent three weeks in a coma at a Spanish hospital after part of his skull was removed following a holiday accident.

Michael Robinson, 54, needed life-saving surgery after falling and hitting his head while on a break with friends in Magaluf.

The Washington dad-of-two was yesterday flown back to Newcastle Airport where paramedics waited to rush him straight to the intensive care unit at Sunderland Royal Hospital.

Today, his wife Lynne told of her family’s “nightmare” and how her husband faces the fight of his life to recover.

The 48-year-old said: “As soon as I heard what had happened, I flew straight over there.

“When I walked into that hospital room and saw all machines around him, it was terrifying. I just thought I’m not going to get my husband back.”

Michael flew off to the holiday resort for a few days break with pals on Friday, October 4.

But just one day into the holiday, he fell while answering the door in his hotel bedroom. Cracking his head on the tiled floor, he was rushed to hospital, but initially appeared relatively unhurt.

With the help of older brother Paul, 56, and twin David, who were also on the break, Michael was conscious and talking when he arrived at the nearby Juanida Hospital.

But within a few hours, the Nissan worker’s condition rapidly deteriorated and he was rushed into intensive care.

Lynne, who was back at the couple’s Concord home, was told her husband had suffered two fractures to his skull and was experiencing mass bleeding on his brain.

She said: “When David rang to say what had happened, I just cried and cried.”

The mum booked a flight straight out to Spain where she was told that Michael had been moved to another hospital and put into a coma due to the severity of his condition.

“It was frightening seeing him like that,” added Lynne. “He was just lying by himself in the hospital bed.

“There was nobody coming to tell me what was happening, no doctors coming to see to him.

Through a translator, Lynne was eventually told that medics were struggling to stop the bleeding from her husband’s brain and that his condition was life-threatening.

“I just thought I was going to lose him,” she added. “It was a nightmare, I thought ‘that’s it, he’s dead’.

“He’d had a heart attack about two years ago and had been taking aspirin ever since. They think that might have prevented the blood from clotting to stop the bleeding.” More surgery followed as efforts were made to drain the blood, with part of Michael’s skull having to be removed.

After nine days, Lynne was forced to come home, before flying back out to Spain on Thursday, October 24.

“By then he was starting to come out of the morphine-induced coma,” she added.

“The next day, I had to sign a form giving them permission to carry out a tracheostomy. I just remember looking into his eyes as he squeezed my hand. It must have been terrifying for him.”

Lynne has spent the past few weeks battling to get her husband flown home.

“I would phone up every day and the insurance people would tell me there was no bed available for him back in Sunderland,” she said. “Eventually, yesterday, we got the news we were waiting for.”

Michael was flown home last night and reunited with daughter Claire, 21, and son, Lee, 17, who had not seen their dad in over a month.

Lynne added: “We don’t know how long he’ll be in hospital for, it’s a matter of building him back up now.”