Hartlepool United takeover no closer as talks continue with Football League

New Hartlepool United chairman Peter Harris before the game against Oxford United. Picture by FRANK REID
New Hartlepool United chairman Peter Harris before the game against Oxford United. Picture by FRANK REID
Have your say

THE proposed takeover of Hartlepool United is no closer to going through as talks with the Football League continue.

TMH 2014 were announced as the new owners of the Sky Bet League Two club on December 16 last year, a dramatic day that also saw Ronnie Moore named as the new Pools manager.

But the deal to buy the club from IOR – who are still paying the bills – was always subject to Football League approval and that process remains ongoing.

Supporters have become increasingly frustrated and concerned about the lack of progress since the proposed takeover was first announced.

SportMail has spoken to the Football League, who confirmed the process is ongoing but would not comment further, while the League Two club are yet to comment on the issue, despite attempts by SportMail.

It is understood the club is on the lookout for other potential investors.

Peter Harris, of TMH 2014, was named as the new chairman on the day the takeover was announced but has kept a low profile in recent weeks.

He is still named as chairman in the match day programme but didn’t write a column at the weekend for the Plymouth Argyle match.

The last time Harris spoke publicly was in his programme notes for the Cheltenham Town match on January 10 when he also confirmed they had opened preliminary discussions with Hartlepool Borough Council about the future of Victoria Park.

Harris attended the recent match away to Shrewsbury Town but wasn’t at Victoria Park for the Argyle match and neither was Ken Hodcroft, who had been at the previous home game.

Regulations have changed recently but the prospective new owners need to get Football League approval before the takeover can be confirmed with board members having to pass an owners and directors test and also prove that sufficient funds are in place.

l MEANWHILE, last night’s scheduled reserve match between Hartlepool United and Mansfield Town’s second string was postponed due to a frozen pitch at Rainworth.