Hartlepool United 3 Leyton Orient 1

Kudus Oyenuga scores from the spot. Picture: Frank Reid
Kudus Oyenuga scores from the spot. Picture: Frank Reid
Have your say

Jake Gray scored two second-half goals as Hartlepool United upset the form book with victory over high-flying Leyton Orient.

Pools fell behind early on to Brad Pritchard but Kudus Oyenuga equalised from the penalty spot on 20 minutes.

After the break, Gray's deflected shot put Pools ahead 20 minutes from time and a superb second clinched the spoils in the 85th minute.

Leyton Orient, who were minus the injured Dean Cox (knee) and only had five men on the bench, made a confident start.

The Eastenders had the first opportunity but Trevor Carson saved well from Mathieu Baudry's close-range shot.

But the O's were 1-0 up ihn the 13th minute through PRITCHARD.

Jack Payne had played the ball into Pools box for Lloyd James and after the ball seemd to get stuck under Adam Jackson's feet, it fell nicely to the midfielder who shot calmly into the keeper's left-hand corner.

But Pools were level inside seven minutes.

Oyenuga delivered a delicios cross from the left which defender Alan Dunne handled.

Referee Paul Tierney pointed to the spot and OYENUGA took the ball and drove his right-foot shot past Charlie Grainhger, who had dived the wrong way.

Thereafter, Pools did not get much of kick though Scott Fenwick was just unable to get on end of a cross from the right.

At the other end, Carson beat out a strong shot from John Marquis.


Pools 1

Leyton Orient 1

Pools came under pressure early in the second half and twice were forced to scramble the ball out of their box.

But Pools came forward and Mandron won their first corner of the afternoon.

Kal Naismith took the flagkick from the right, with Matthew Bates heading over.

It was more like it from Pools but they were allowing too many crosses and from one, Carson saved his side's bacon with a great save from free header by Baudry.

But Pools were ahead 20 minutes from time with a first club goal from GRAY.

The Crystal Palace midfielder received just outside the box and his shot was deflected past Grainger and into the away net.

Pools had a spring in their step and were almost 3-1 up when Magnay crossed from right but Mandron's header went wide.

The hosts suffered a blow when Michael Duckworth was stretchered off in the 77th minute, Scott Harrison coming on at right-back.

Pools threatened again seven minutes from time when Mandron could not quite get on the end of Naismith's cross.

However, the Town End were in ecstasy two minutes later as GRAY doubled the lead.

Naismith found him on the right and his shot from just inside the box found the keeper's right-hand corner.




Pools: Carson, Duckworth (Harrison 77), Jackson, Bates, Carroll, Oyenuga (Oates 69), Gray, Magnay, Naismith, Fenwick (Featherstone 82), Mandron.

Subs: Bartlett, Jones, Featherstone, Woods, Oates, Bingham.

Goals: Oyenuga (pen) 20, Gray 70, 85

Leyton Orient: Grainger, Clohessy, Dunne (Turgott), Baudry, Shaw, Pritchard (Tashket 75), James, Payne, Marquis, Palmer, Simpson

Subs: Sargeant, Turcott, Moncur, Semedo

Goal: Pritchard 13

Booked: James

Referee: Paul Tierney

Attendance: 3785