Attack victim David Walsh was given an emotional send-off at his funeral
Mr Walsh, known as “Boff” died after an assault near his Hendon home last month, with three people now facing trial over his murder.
The 45-year-old dad-of-four and grandad-of-four had been planning on renewing his wedding vows with wife Trisha before his death.
Mr Walsh’s funeral was held at Sunderland Crematorium today, with hundreds of mourners packing out the building.
Some were left standing outside as the crematorium was so full.
Humanist celebrant Chris May told the congregation of a devoted family man and “gentle giant” who had worked hard on the railways to support his wife and children.
He would do anything for anyone.Humanist celebrant Chris May
“He would do anything for anyone,” said Mr May.
“He would never see anyone short.
“Family and friends came first every time no matter what and he showed no signs of changing.
“The events of a few weeks ago rocked you all to your core. He had half a lifetime ahead of him.
“We celebrate the life of a lad who came into this world with nothing but leaves with the love and respect of us all.”
Also mentioned was Mr Walsh’s love of hosting barbecues, going on holidays and spending time with neighbours.
He gained his nickname after shaving his hair off and was known for playing pranks on his friends and family.
Mr Walsh, who went to Valley Road Primary and Southmoor School, where he met Trisha, also 45, was also dad to Aaron, 26, and daughter Casey, 23, and a grandad to Kyle’s children Kyle, 10, Cavan, eight, and Canis, six, as well as David’s daughter Ellie, seven.
He also leaves sister Maureen, 56, and brother Anthony, 48, sister-in-law Michelle Worgan, 44, and was also a loving uncle to Anthony’s children Lyndsay, 23, and Anthony, 28.
Music played during the service included Charlie Puth’s Marvin Gaye and Adele’s Hello.
Following the service, a wake was held at the Catholic Club in Hendon’s Tatham Street.
Dalton Barnett, 19, of Fuller Road, Charles Lamont, 40, of Villette Road, and Raymond Brown, 36, of Canon Cockin Street, are all accused of murdering Mr Walsh
and appeared before Newcastle Crown Court last month via videolink from HMP Holme House.
No pleas to the charges were made.
They are set to face a trial, which is estimated to last up to five weeks and has been listed for May 31, but is subject to change.
The trio have since been remanded in custody.