PUPILS rushed to the rescue of a teenager injured by a firework.
Thankfully, the burns were fake but the first aid administered was real after pupils at Castle View Enterprise Academy were taught lifesaving skills.
The group of Year 8 students were given a unique first aid and fire safety lesson as part of a programme of activities linked to Bonfire Night.
Mel Williams, youth and schools manager for the British Red Cross, which runs the programme jointly with Tyne and Wear fire and Rescue Service, said: “We designed our first aid lesson to make it really easy for young people to learn vital first aid skills.
“The young people have really enjoyed the sessions and said they felt confident they would know what to do if a friend or family member needed help.
“We’re delighted that they want to try and pass on what they have learnt to others so they can stay safe too.”
As part of the interactive session, pupils were involved in a role play that saw one of them suffer severe burns after playing with fireworks.
The youngsters were shown how to assess the injury as well as treat it before receiving hospital treatment.
Jackie Smith, of Castle View Enterprise Academy, said: “Bonfire Night is a really exciting time for young people, but it is so important that they are taught how to enjoy it safely and what to do if things go wrong.
“The first aid workshops with the Red Cross gave them the life skills to keep themselves safe and help others.”
Group Manager John Allison, of Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service, added: ”We know young people want to have fun, but it is important to show them how dangerous fireworks and bonfires can be and what they should do in the event of suffering burns.
“We would encourage everyone to attend an organised display to ensure they have a safe and enjoyable bonfire night.”