Firefighters rescue three guinea pigs and a budgie from a blaze in Sunderland

Three guinea pigs and a budgie had to be rescued by firefighters after a blaze broke out in a Sunderland home.

Sunday, 17th March 2019, 2:07 pm
Updated Sunday, 17th March 2019, 4:33 pm
The three guinea pigs rescued from a blazing home.

At lunchtime today crews from Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service were called to a blaze at a home in New Herrington.

Luckily, the female occupant was led to safety by a neighbour.

The conservatory was badly damaged.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The fire, which was in the lean-to conservatory of the home in Fenton Terrace, is believed to have been caused by a lighted scented candle being left unattended.

A spokesman for the brigade, which was called at 12.11pm today, said fortunately smoke alarms alerted the occupant to the blaze.

He said: "Our crews rescued three guinea pigs and a budgie.

"If you like candles please consider a battery flame. And remember having a working smoke alarm is a life saver - not just for the humans in your home."

Damage to the staircase from the blaze.

Three crews, two from Farringdon and one from Rainton, were called to the scene and the conservatory was 80% damaged by fire, there was also smoke damage to other parts of the terraced house.