A CAR has been written off and another escaped major damage after they were hit by fire.
Firefighters from Peterlee were first called to Stapylton Drive, Horden, at 11pm yesterday after a woman pulled onto her drive and realised she could smell smoke.
The crew discovered the fumes had been caused by a rag, which had been left under the bonnet of the Ford Focus, and had fallen on to a hot area of the engine.
The officers were also called to the B1280, between Station Town and Sheraton, at 2.25am today after they were alerted to an accident by police.
A Ford KA had crashed into a hedge after a blaze had broken out. The car was severely damaged..