Fire at power supply building

editorial image
0
Have your say

FIREFIGHTERS have been battling a blaze at a Nissan power supply building.

The fire broke out at the car manufacturer’s complex in Washington Road, in Usworth, at 1am on Thursday.

A total of 18 firefighters from Washington, Fulwell and South Shields tackled the incident, which is believed to have started after overalls were accidentally left on a heater.

The one-storey facility, which supplies power to one of the company’s reception areas, was left damaged by fire and smoke, while a number of items of clothing were destroyed.

Aiden Crawley, of Washington fire station, said: “Two firefighters wearing breathing apparatus put the fire out.

“The small fire was extinguished and we used a thermal imaging camera to check for hot spots before positive pressure ventilation was used to clear the smoke.”

The situation was under control before 2am and no-one was injured.