Final goodbye to Sunderland teenager killed in sunbed accident

editorial image
Have your say

FINAL farewells are being made today to a teenager who died after a freak accident at his home.

Grant Adams, 17, suffered horrific throat injuries after falling into a sunbed at his home, which he shared with his mother, Amanda Smedley, on June 8.

One of the bed’s glass lightning tubes pierced his neck, before he then tumbled down a flight of stairs.

Despite the Great North Air Ambulance Service (GNAAS) flying him to Newcastle’s Royal Victoria Infirmary, the youngster died the following day and his organs were donated to help others.

Hundreds were expected to turn out to his funeral at South Shields Crematorium.

Grant was originally from Pennywell but moved to South Shields as a youngster. He had just found a job after completing an apprenticeship as a bricklayer in May with building firm Carillion Gateshead, and was looking forward to the birth of his first child with girlfriend Sharna Gardner, 15.

The pair, who knew they were having a girl, had already decided to name her Rhkiya Mae.

His aunt Michelle Kelly, 33, who is originally from Hendon, said: “We’re all missing Grant like crazy, he is going to be such a big miss to us all.

“We’ve been told about 160 people will be able to fit into the crematorium, but to be honest his family and close friends will probably fill that, we are expecting lots more to be spilling outside, because he was so popular.”

His funeral is due to be held at 12.30pm.