Elderly lady led to safety from her Sunderland home after food left cooking in microwave catches fire

Leighton Road in Sunderland, Image copyright Google Maps.
Leighton Road in Sunderland, Image copyright Google Maps.

An 86-year-old woman was helped from her home after a fire in her kitchen.

Firefighters, paramedics and police were called to Leighton Road in Hill View, Sunderland, at 1.15pm today after the woman called for help through her carer service when her smoke alarms were set off.

A crew from Sunderland Central Fire Station were able to get into the house through the back door and found the woman in a hall way.

She was led from the house and given oxygen by the officers, before the ambulance service team arrived and checked her over.

Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus put out the blaze, which destroyed the microwave and left the kitchen damaged by smoke.

Fans were used to clear the home of fumes.

The woman's family were called in the aftermath of the incident, with carers also ensuring she was safe.

The fire service is working to update the smoke alarms and has also carried out checks in the street to offer safety advice to neighbours.

The emergency services spent at hour dealing with the call out.